|Our Christmas Breakfast|
Banana Bread Recipe
Every holiday I make banana bread the night before, for breakfast.
Three reasons why:
1) It's easy and mess free, leaving plenty of time to enjoy the day.
2) It's filling, healthy and yet it's light enough that you can still enjoy all the holiday goodies throughout the rest of the day.
3) It's delicious of course!
My favourite banana bread recipe of all time is from the cookbook Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson.
And even thought it's a vegan recipe, the banana bread is still delicious! In fact, my friends and family agree - vegan or not.
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 3/4 cup sugar or natural sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x5 pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a food processor, combine bananas, soy milk, corn oil, sugar and vanilla and process until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and mix well, then transfer it to the prepared pan.
- Bake on the center oven rack until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan and slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.
Robin Robertson also adds 3/4 cup chopped peanuts or other nuts, 1/4 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips, 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple and 3/4 cup dried cherries. Fold into the mixture before transferring it to the pan. I prefer just adding walnuts to mine.